South Molton needs volunteer drivers
A much-needed community car service for the South Molton area is keen to recruit more volunteer drivers to ensure the service can continue. South Molton Volunteer Bureau provides transport for any in the town and surrounding parishes who need it, to get t
A much-needed community car service for the South Molton area is keen to recruit more volunteer drivers to ensure the service can continue.
South Molton Volunteer Bureau provides transport for any in the town and surrounding parishes who need it, to get to medical appointments or for any other reason.
The organisation was recently presented with a �500 by South Molton Rotary Club, raised through its charity shop in the town and is grateful for the help to support its service.
John Hulme of the Volunteer Bureau said since the hospital car service ended two years ago, the work of ferrying people to and from medical appointments had fallen on the voluntary sector.
You may also want to watch:
"We would respond to any request for transport, but it's nearly always for appointments," he said.
"Most of the clients are elderly and people who can't easily arrange their own transport. Most go to North Devon District Hospital, Exeter or sometimes South Molton - we take them from their home to the appointment and wait there until they're ready to return home."
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 3 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 4 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 5 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 6 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 7 Roger McGough unveiled as Plough Poetry Prize judge
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 10 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
Anyone who could spare a few hours - typically undertaking one driving job a week - as a volunteer driver would be very welcome. A full licence is required and volunteers will be CRB checked.
To find out more, call the bureau on (01769) 573167 and please leave your name and phone number on the answer phone.