South Molton needs volunteer drivers
A much-needed community car service for the South Molton area is keen to recruit more volunteer drivers to ensure the service can continue. South Molton Volunteer Bureau provides transport for any in the town and surrounding parishes who need it, to get t
A much-needed community car service for the South Molton area is keen to recruit more volunteer drivers to ensure the service can continue.
South Molton Volunteer Bureau provides transport for any in the town and surrounding parishes who need it, to get to medical appointments or for any other reason.
The organisation was recently presented with a �500 by South Molton Rotary Club, raised through its charity shop in the town and is grateful for the help to support its service.
John Hulme of the Volunteer Bureau said since the hospital car service ended two years ago, the work of ferrying people to and from medical appointments had fallen on the voluntary sector.
You may also want to watch:
"We would respond to any request for transport, but it's nearly always for appointments," he said.
"Most of the clients are elderly and people who can't easily arrange their own transport. Most go to North Devon District Hospital, Exeter or sometimes South Molton - we take them from their home to the appointment and wait there until they're ready to return home."
- 1 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 2 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 5 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 6 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 7 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 8 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 9 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 10 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
Anyone who could spare a few hours - typically undertaking one driving job a week - as a volunteer driver would be very welcome. A full licence is required and volunteers will be CRB checked.
To find out more, call the bureau on (01769) 573167 and please leave your name and phone number on the answer phone.