South Molton food bank opens its doors
- Credit: Archant
Opening of third branch of newly-named Northern Devon Foodbank.
A NEW food bank opened its doors in South Molton on Friday.
The distribution centre in New Road is the third branch of the newly-named Northern Devon Foodbank, which also runs centres in Bideford and Barnstaple.
Volunteer Ruth Williams said the food bank was about local people supporting local people in crisis.
“We had a lot of donations and interest from volunteers and we have a community ready to help a community,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
Although referrals on the opening day were low, project co-ordinator Duncan Withall said demand for the service would rise once the relevant agencies begin issuing food vouchers for the South Molton area.
He said: “In Bideford it took weeks for the referrals to come in but now people are queuing up to use the service.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
- 8 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 9 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 10 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
“Northern Devon Foodbank is now geographically, the largest in the country, covering some 800 square miles across the districts of Torridge and Northern Devon.”
He said that the branch in South Molton would be run by volunteers in the town, and used by local people.
“Most of the food that comes in the door here stays here. Any excess will go back to the central warehouse where it then goes out to other local branches.”
The weekly service will be open on Fridays from 10.30am-1.30pm.
There will be a food collection at Sainsbury’s in South Molton on Thursday, May 16 from 10am to 2pm.