South Molton car service needs volunteers
A much-needed community car service for the South Molton area is keen to recruit more volunteer drivers to ensure it can continue. South Molton Volunteer Bureau provides transport for any in the town and surrounding parishes who need it, to get to medical
A much-needed community car service for the South Molton area is keen to recruit more volunteer drivers to ensure it can continue.
South Molton Volunteer Bureau provides transport for any in the town and surrounding parishes who need it, to get to medical appointments or for any other reason.
The organisation was recently presented with �500 by South Molton Rotary Club, raised through its charity shop in the town and is grateful for the help to support its service.
John Hulme of the Volunteer Bureau said since the hospital car service ended two years ago, the work of ferrying people to and from medical appointments had fallen on the voluntary sector.
You may also want to watch:
"We would respond to any request for transport, but it's nearly always for appointments," he said.
"Most of the clients are elderly and people who can't easily arrange their own transport. Most go to North Devon District Hospital, Exeter or sometimes South Molton - we take them from their home to the appointment and wait there until they're ready to return home."
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 8 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 9 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
Anyone who could spare a few hours - typically undertaking one driving job a week - as a volunteer driver would be very welcome. A full licence is required and volunteers will be CRB checked.
To find out more, call the bureau on (01769) 573167 and please leave your name and phone number on the answer phone.