Sonja gears up for charity trip with Peter Andre
- Credit: Archant
The 33-year-old mother of two will be cycling around Zanzibar with the pop star.
A BIDEFORD woman will be joining pop star Peter Andre in a charity cycle around the east African island of Zanzibar this summer.
Sonja Cooper heard about the trip at one of the performer’s concerts and will spend 10 days travelling around the island with the Mysterious Girl singer and a group of around 35 other people.
The 33-year-old told the Gazette she couldn’t wait to meet the star on the 237km (147 mile) trip.
She said: “When I went to see Peter Andre in concert he mentioned this charity, Health Improvement Project Zanzibar (HIPZ), and put up a slideshow of photos from his trip last year.
“I volunteer with Jaden Cornelius Fundraising and through them visited a project in Gambia last November.
“When I saw Peter’s photos I burst out crying and knew I had to go; it brought back all the memories of the children I visited in Gambia.
- 1 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 2 160 traders at this year's Christmas Market in Braunton
- 3 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 4 Holsworthy link mental health centre looks set to close permanently
- 5 New recycled plastic tables installed at Victoria Park
- 6 RGB's North Devon branches helping others this Christmas
- 7 Council forms group to tackle North Devon housing crisis
- 8 Loud music man fined after breaching official order
- 9 Heddon Valley crowned top of winter walks table
- 10 North Devon MP encourages community to go 'one step greener'
“We went to health centre and scrubbed it clean; it was amazing to meet the people we were fundraising for and see how the money was helping them.
“Peter seems like a really genuine person so I’m looking forward to meeting him on this trip.”
Sonja, who lives with her husband Nick and two children Tyler, 9, and Enya, 3, is now hoping to raise a minimum of £1,200 for her trip.
The money will go towards developing Makunduchi and Kivunge hospitals on the island, which the team will also visit during their gruelling adventure.
Sonja said she will be cycling every weekend in preparation before she flies out for the 10 day trip on June 6.
“It’s going to be tough; we’ll start off doing 22km a day, and end up doing 70km a day which is rather daunting,” said Sonja.
“But I think it will be so rewarding to see where the money will be going, and what project HIPZ has already helped fund.”
To sponsor Sonja, visit her fundraising page at: http://www.justgiving.com/Sonja-Cooper