Solutions for digital blues - UPDATE: Phone number correction
THE digital television row in North Devon continues as more and more people come forward to report a loss of channels and service. A number of viewers in Ilfracombe are fuming because since a nationwide retune on September 30 they have been receiving Wels
THE digital television row in North Devon continues as more and more people come forward to report a loss of channels and service.
A number of viewers in Ilfracombe are fuming because since a nationwide retune on September 30 they have been receiving Welsh TV as the South Wales transmitter transmits on a similar frequency to the Ilfracombe relay but has a more powerful signal.
In Combe Martin and other areas with a relay transmitter, the retune has led to the loss of the ITV3 and ITV4 channels.
One reader from Bideford says she cannot receive any Freeview channels between 2-7pm on weekdays and all day at weekends!
You may also want to watch:
The Gazette spoke to Bill Taylor of Digital UK - the organisation appointed to oversee the digital switchover - who said while the ITV and Freeview matters were an issue for the companies concerned, solutions were available for those affected in Ilfracombe.
"We have put together a special list of potential solutions for people in Ilfracombe," he said.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 3 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 4 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 7 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 8 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
"If they phone our helpline and explain they're from Ilfracombe, the operator will talk them through the solutions. There is a range and the solution will depend on the individual house and where it is in the landscape.
"I realise this has been a frustrating time and I am sorry about that, but this is a special case. We have investigated along with Ofcom and we think that for everyone in Ilfracombe there will be a solution."
The Digital UK helpline can be contacted on 08456 505050.
Mr Taylor said he could not speak for ITV, but the loss of channels was a nationwide issue caused because Ofcom had advised the company it would need to move some of its services to create future space for the new High Definition channels among others.
Those experiencing Freeview difficulties are advised to call the company helpline on 08708 80 99 80.
See the letters section on this website for more.