Snowy strikers man hospital picket lines in Barnstaple
PICKET lines of workers have spent a snowy morning outside North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple today (Tuesday) as they begin a 48 hour strike over pay and conditions. Groups of staff employed by contractor Sodexo at the hospital, who carry out por
PICKET lines of workers have spent a snowy morning outside North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple today (Tuesday) as they begin a 48 hour strike over pay and conditions.
Groups of staff employed by contractor Sodexo at the hospital, who carry out portering, cleaning and catering duties among others, took to the picket line outside after last minute negotiations between their union Unison, Northern Devon Healthcare Trust and Sodexo, fell through yesterday.
Groups of workers bearing placards gathered in the snow outside the hospital this morning, calling on passing drivers to sound their horns in support.
The 48 hour strike began at one minute past midnight this morning and is expected to include all Unison Sodexo members employed at Northern Devon Healthcare, numbered at just over 200.
You may also want to watch:
The dispute centres on a national agreement called Agenda for Change, brought in by the government in October 2006 and which Unison says should be honoured by the trust, bringing Sodexo staff in line with the NHS standard.
The trust pledged on Monday to keep the hospital running as smoothly as possible during the strike action. It said admissions and out patient clinics would continue to go ahead as normal under "internal contingency plans."
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 3 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 9 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
The sides are due to meet again on Thursday for more negotiations.