Snowy strikers man hospital picket lines in Barnstaple
PICKET lines of workers have spent a snowy morning outside North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple today (Tuesday) as they begin a 48 hour strike over pay and conditions. Groups of staff employed by contractor Sodexo at the hospital, who carry out por
PICKET lines of workers have spent a snowy morning outside North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple today (Tuesday) as they begin a 48 hour strike over pay and conditions.
Groups of staff employed by contractor Sodexo at the hospital, who carry out portering, cleaning and catering duties among others, took to the picket line outside after last minute negotiations between their union Unison, Northern Devon Healthcare Trust and Sodexo, fell through yesterday.
Groups of workers bearing placards gathered in the snow outside the hospital this morning, calling on passing drivers to sound their horns in support.
The 48 hour strike began at one minute past midnight this morning and is expected to include all Unison Sodexo members employed at Northern Devon Healthcare, numbered at just over 200.
You may also want to watch:
The dispute centres on a national agreement called Agenda for Change, brought in by the government in October 2006 and which Unison says should be honoured by the trust, bringing Sodexo staff in line with the NHS standard.
The trust pledged on Monday to keep the hospital running as smoothly as possible during the strike action. It said admissions and out patient clinics would continue to go ahead as normal under "internal contingency plans."
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 3 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
The sides are due to meet again on Thursday for more negotiations.