Snow Patrol will help older Torridge residents
A VOLUNTEER service has been set up in Torridge to provide help for older people should the winter weather get bad.
Snow Patrol has been established by the TorrAGE Neighbourhood Links project, which is funded by the Big Lottery and managed by Torridge Training and Volunteer Service.
It is setting up a team of volunteers who will be able to collect and deliver emergency provisions to older people should they be unable to leave their homes during spells of snow or ice.
“Torridge is a deeply rural district, with a high number of older residents, making spells of bad weather like we saw last winter a real problem for many,” said a TORRage spokeswoman.
“The volunteers will provide support, where possible, for older people who require emergency one-off help, such as shopping for basic supplies and prescription collection. We regret that the volunteers will not be able to help with clearing snow and ice from driveways, however, they may be able to carry out some snow clearance in certain circumstances.
You may also want to watch:
“We will do our best to meet all needs, but this depends upon the availability and location of our volunteers. The project staff are keen to hear from potential volunteers, particularly in rural areas, who would be willing to help out, and would like to remind everyone of the importance of keeping an eye out for older neighbours at this time of year.”
Anyone needing assistance or who would like to discuss becoming a Snow Patrol volunteer should contact Anna or Linda on (01805) 622666.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened