Snow causes waste collection catch-up for council
NORTH Devon Council s waste and recycling service is busy dealing with disruption due to the snow and cold weather, On Tuesday and Wednesday, collections were cancelled, with the icy roads proving too dangerous for the lorries to travel on. Most collectio
NORTH Devon Council's waste and recycling service is busy dealing with disruption due to the snow and cold weather,
On Tuesday and Wednesday, collections were cancelled, with the icy roads proving too dangerous for the lorries to travel on. Most collections planned for today (Thursday) are going ahead. However, some of the smaller transit vans that cover narrow lane rounds have been affected.
A council spokesperson said: "If waste and recycling teams are able to pick up all of today's collections, they will then try to get back out to as many missed areas as possible. For those they cannot get to, waste and recycling will be picked up on the next scheduled collection."
Councillor Rodney Cann, Lead Member for Waste and Recycling, added: "Our waste and recycling teams are doing all they can to minimise disruption to the service. They are trying to get out to as many areas as possible, as we realise that households have more waste as a result of Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
"However, with our heavy vehicles and the roads still treacherous, we can't take any risks."
Most council offices are open for business as usual, including the Civic Centre and Lynton House in Barnstaple, and The Ilfracombe Centre. The Amory Centre in South Molton is closed.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
People can phone the Customer Service Centre on (01271) 327711 for general advice and service requests. They can also email email@example.com.
Enquiries about roads and gritting should be directed to Devon County Council on 0845 155 1004.