Snow brings problems back to North Devon
SNOW and ice has caused disruption for drivers around North Devon this morning, with many caught unawares by the return of wintry weather. Devon County Council said there had been reports of snow in Torrington, Braunton, the North Devon Link Road and area
SNOW and ice has caused disruption for drivers around North Devon this morning, with many caught unawares by the return of wintry weather.
Devon County Council said there had been reports of snow in Torrington, Braunton, the North Devon Link Road and areas around Barnstaple.
The A39 towards Woolsery was dangerous earlier this morning in the Fairy Cross area, with snow and sleet freezing g as it hit the road.
A number of accidents have also taken place although it was unclear if the weather was to blame.
You may also want to watch:
The A39 is closed both ways due to an accident near the Torridge Bridge, as is the A3123 following an accident at the junction with the A361 in Ilfracombe.
Police were also called to attend a four-car collision at Huntshaw Cross which blocked the B3232 for a time this morning. Officers were also called to reports of a car in a ditch near Aller Cross, South Molton.
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 4 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 5 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 6 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 7 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 8 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 9 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 10 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
Minor roads over higher ground have seen a covering of snow or hail, making them treacherous.
The county council said gritters had been out across Devon this morning as a precaution, with Barnstaple routes being re-treated, as were routes near Tiverton and on the A39.
Snow showers have also affected refuse and recycling collections at Burrington, Chulmleigh, Witheridge and East Anstey.
Crews will wait until the weather improves, so collections may be slightly later than usual.