Snow brings problems back to North Devon
SNOW and ice has caused disruption for drivers around North Devon this morning, with many caught unawares by the return of wintry weather. Devon County Council said there had been reports of snow in Torrington, Braunton, the North Devon Link Road and area
SNOW and ice has caused disruption for drivers around North Devon this morning, with many caught unawares by the return of wintry weather.
Devon County Council said there had been reports of snow in Torrington, Braunton, the North Devon Link Road and areas around Barnstaple.
The A39 towards Woolsery was dangerous earlier this morning in the Fairy Cross area, with snow and sleet freezing g as it hit the road.
A number of accidents have also taken place although it was unclear if the weather was to blame.
You may also want to watch:
The A39 is closed both ways due to an accident near the Torridge Bridge, as is the A3123 following an accident at the junction with the A361 in Ilfracombe.
Police were also called to attend a four-car collision at Huntshaw Cross which blocked the B3232 for a time this morning. Officers were also called to reports of a car in a ditch near Aller Cross, South Molton.
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 3 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 9 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
Minor roads over higher ground have seen a covering of snow or hail, making them treacherous.
The county council said gritters had been out across Devon this morning as a precaution, with Barnstaple routes being re-treated, as were routes near Tiverton and on the A39.
Snow showers have also affected refuse and recycling collections at Burrington, Chulmleigh, Witheridge and East Anstey.
Crews will wait until the weather improves, so collections may be slightly later than usual.