Snow brings problems back to North Devon
SNOW and ice has caused disruption for drivers around North Devon this morning, with many caught unawares by the return of wintry weather. Devon County Council said there had been reports of snow in Torrington, Braunton, the North Devon Link Road and area
SNOW and ice has caused disruption for drivers around North Devon this morning, with many caught unawares by the return of wintry weather.
Devon County Council said there had been reports of snow in Torrington, Braunton, the North Devon Link Road and areas around Barnstaple.
The A39 towards Woolsery was dangerous earlier this morning in the Fairy Cross area, with snow and sleet freezing g as it hit the road.
A number of accidents have also taken place although it was unclear if the weather was to blame.
You may also want to watch:
The A39 is closed both ways due to an accident near the Torridge Bridge, as is the A3123 following an accident at the junction with the A361 in Ilfracombe.
Police were also called to attend a four-car collision at Huntshaw Cross which blocked the B3232 for a time this morning. Officers were also called to reports of a car in a ditch near Aller Cross, South Molton.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 3 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
Minor roads over higher ground have seen a covering of snow or hail, making them treacherous.
The county council said gritters had been out across Devon this morning as a precaution, with Barnstaple routes being re-treated, as were routes near Tiverton and on the A39.
Snow showers have also affected refuse and recycling collections at Burrington, Chulmleigh, Witheridge and East Anstey.
Crews will wait until the weather improves, so collections may be slightly later than usual.