A female casualty had to be given oxygen treatment after a kitchen fire at Torridge View in Torrington yesterday (Thursday.)

Fire crews from the town plus two from Bideford were called to the incident just after 11.30pm, but the Bideford fire fighters were returned to station when the fire – involving a cooker – was found to be out on arrival.

The fire service reported a female casualty had suffered from smoke inhalation and was treated with oxygen until a South Western Ambulance crew could attend.