Slipping down rankings
SIR - I, too, was a little disappointed to see the TV depiction of Barnstaple as poverty stricken in the Secret Millionaire . The TV crew must have found the only three boarded-up properties in town to exaggerate its perspective. Of course, there is a
SIR - I, too, was a little disappointed to see the TV depiction of Barnstaple as "poverty stricken" in the "Secret Millionaire". The TV crew must have found the only three boarded-up properties in town to exaggerate its perspective.
Of course, there is a really good side here. Not only did some excellent charitable works have great publicity by showing the generosity of local folk but as they say, "any publicity is good publicity".
I am very proud of my home town and indeed the whole of North Devon. Despite our MP's protestations, it is true that on one of the most used criteria, North Devon has become poorer over the last few decades.
North Devon is the 11th poorest area in the country and the lowest in the whole of the South-W est of England.
You may also want to watch:
May I be so bold as to ask why this is still the case and indeed, why we have slipped in the rankings over the last couple of decades?
While I shall be unable suddenly to change things, I have to ask the question which is "does having an MP since 1992 who is not in the Government of the day have anything to do with it?"
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 5 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 6 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 7 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
Well, on this point, given the opportunity by the electorate I promise I shall do something about it and that with real business experience, I shall do all I can to bring greater prosperity to the whole constituency as well as working even closer with the charitable and social sectors to do more for our poorest.
Philip J Milton,
Philip J Milton
Prospective Member of Parliament for North Devon