Skate park set to open
ILFRACOMBE’S new skate park, The Benricks, will be opened to the public on Saturday of next week, November 20. Councillor Des Brailey, Leader of North Devon Council, will cut the ribbon at 11am to mark the completion of the project to redevelop the former BMX track.
Following the opening, an afternoon of fun is planned to celebrate the occasion. There will be professional skating demonstrations by The Vans skateboard display team, music and give-aways from two North Devon clothing companies.
Lead Member for Community and Leisure Services Cllr Dick Jones said: “The skaters of Ilfracombe have waited a long time for this skate park and I am thrilled that we have finally the finished product. I would like to thank all those involved in helping to deliver this fantastic facility. Maybe I’ll bring my skateboard along on Saturday and show the youngsters a trick or two!”
Chairman of Concrete Surfers Federation Nathan Rutherford said: “The Ilfracombe skateboard community are so excited and proud to finally see the completion and opening of its first official skate park! We are overjoyed at the quality and result of the finished product and are itching to start using it once it officially opens!
“We’d collectively like to thank Gravity, Transform, North Devon Council and all organisations involved in making the skate park a reality. We invite everybody to come out and join us for the opening day!”
You may also want to watch:
The project was managed and largely funded by North Devon Council which contributed �100,000. An additional �56,000 funding was secured by the Concrete Surfers Federation, the skate park committee.
The Benricks was designed by Gravity Engineering Ltd with the help of the Concrete Surfers Federation.
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety