Sixth-formers head for Peru
SIXTH form students from Bideford College are going in search of bugs, Caiman crocodiles and pink River Dolphins. Nineteen teenagers are preparing for a South American adventure as part of an Operation Wallacea ecological expedition to Peru next summer. T
SIXTH form students from Bideford College are going in search of bugs, Caiman crocodiles and pink River Dolphins.
Nineteen teenagers are preparing for a South American adventure as part of an Operation Wallacea ecological expedition to Peru next summer.
The expedition is being run in conjunction with several leading UK universities to study endangered species in the Amazon rainforest.
As well as studying creatures they encounter on their journey down the Amazon the students are hoping to meet with local people and help with conservation projects.
You may also want to watch:
But first they have a financial hurdle and are already working hard to overcome it.
It will cost �2,000 for each student and, in the present financial climate, sponsors are difficult to find.
- 1 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 2 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 3 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 4 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 5 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 6 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 7 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 8 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 9 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 10 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
So the students have been organising a range of fund raising events. Quizzes, tug-o-war, fun events at local family attractions, discos, bag packing, pottery making, cake stalls and gardening have all been on the agenda in recent months and, so far, a creditable �14,000 has been raised.
But with near �40,000 needed, that still leaves a big gap before the students can board their plane next July.
A Christmas Fair is being organised at the school from 6.30pm to 9.30pm on November 27 to help the cause. There will be carols, mince pies, crafts, raffle and table top sale. Anyone wanting a table should ring the college on (01237) 477611.
Of course, if there are any potential sponsors out there, the college would also be pleased to hear from you.