Sign up for fairer rural funding
- Credit: Archant
Petition calls for Government parity between town and country.
RURAL residents and councillors have less than a week to sign a petition demanding fairer funding from the Government for rural communities.
The Government’s funding formula for local authorities means urban councils currently receive around 50 per cent more money per person than rural councils.
The Rural Fair Share petition, led by MP Graham Stuart, calls on the Government to reduce the funding gap to 40 per cent by 2020.
Mr Stuart said: “Overall rural residents earn less, on average, than those in cities, pay council tax which is £75 more per person but see urban areas receive Government grants 50 per cent higher per head than those in the countryside.
You may also want to watch:
“The Government is proposing to freeze this position until 2020.
“We believe that freezing the system until 2020 is indefensible, locking-in past unfairness and stopping changes the Government has itself agreed, actually being implemented.
- 1 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 2 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 5 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 6 Fringe TheatreFest returns to Barnstaple this month
- 7 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 8 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
“We are not arguing for more Government spending overall but for fair allocations within the spending envelope. When money is tight it is even more important that funding allocations are fair.
“I urge rural residents to sign the petition and support our campaign for a fairer rural share.”
The petition runs until Monday 30 September. To sign up, visit www.rsnonline.org.uk/parliamentary/rural-fair-share-petition