Sign up for fairer rural funding
- Credit: Archant
Petition calls for Government parity between town and country.
RURAL residents and councillors have less than a week to sign a petition demanding fairer funding from the Government for rural communities.
The Government’s funding formula for local authorities means urban councils currently receive around 50 per cent more money per person than rural councils.
The Rural Fair Share petition, led by MP Graham Stuart, calls on the Government to reduce the funding gap to 40 per cent by 2020.
Mr Stuart said: “Overall rural residents earn less, on average, than those in cities, pay council tax which is £75 more per person but see urban areas receive Government grants 50 per cent higher per head than those in the countryside.
You may also want to watch:
“The Government is proposing to freeze this position until 2020.
“We believe that freezing the system until 2020 is indefensible, locking-in past unfairness and stopping changes the Government has itself agreed, actually being implemented.
- 1 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 2 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 5 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 6 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 7 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 10 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
“We are not arguing for more Government spending overall but for fair allocations within the spending envelope. When money is tight it is even more important that funding allocations are fair.
“I urge rural residents to sign the petition and support our campaign for a fairer rural share.”
The petition runs until Monday 30 September. To sign up, visit www.rsnonline.org.uk/parliamentary/rural-fair-share-petition