Sign language courses for North Devon workers
WORKERS in North Devon are being encouraged to learn sign language as an extra skill. Signs4Life are setting up introductory employee in-house courses and separate disability awareness courses over the next 12 months to help people communicate with the d
WORKERS in North Devon are being encouraged to learn sign language as an extra skill.
Signs4Life are setting up introductory employee in-house courses and separate disability awareness courses over the next 12 months to help people communicate with the deaf community and disabled people.
"You never know when you will come into contact with a customer, a colleague or member of the public who is deaf or disabled," said Fozia Parveen, founder of Signs4Life.
"There are more than nine million deaf and hard of hearing people and 8.6 million registered disabled in the UK and we are working with organisations as varied as supermarkets, victim support, the prison service, The Red Cross, housing associations, hotels, care homes, opticians, schools, travel agents and even photographers, hairdressers and holiday parks.
You may also want to watch:
"Each of our courses will help you comply with the Disability Discrimination Act."
Signs4Life is leading efforts to see a society in which deaf and disabled people have full access and is working hard to raise the public and political awareness of disability
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 3 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 4 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 5 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 6 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 7 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 8 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
The organisation is also behind campaigns to introducing sign language into the education system alongside other languages like French and Spanish and baby signing classes for parents and baby groups in local nurseries and childrens centres.
Signs4Life's chosen charity this year is The National Deaf Children's Society. If you would like further information about the Signs4Life employee or baby signing courses in North Devon please get in touch with Fozia on 07964 019 764 or visit our website www.signs4life.org.uk