Two fire engines attended the fire in Bideford this afternoon caused by halogen lighting.

THE FIRE service has praised the quick thinking actions of shop staff after a blaze broke out in a store in Bideford this afternoon (Mon).

Two fire engines from Bideford were called to the scene in Mill Street after a halogen light shining on some soft furnishings caused a fire.

Neil Blackburn, group commander for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue, said: “The staff in the shop did the right thing and evacuated everyone before calling the fire brigade.

“Two fire engines arrived at the scene quickly under watch manager Neil Hole and located and dealt with the small fire.

“I’d like to praise the shop staff for acting promptly to evacuate everybody.

“I would also like to remind shop keepers that halogen, ceiling mounted lighting creates quite a bit of heat.

“We have been to a number of fires caused by this type of lighting.”