Shock ‘worm’ discovery in chicken tikka slice
- Credit: Archant
Barnstaple grandmother finds worm-like object in frozen slice from Iceland.
A BARNSTAPLE woman was horrified when she discovered what appeared to be half a worm in her chicken tikka slice.
Kathy Thompson was half way through a mouthful of the slice which she bought from the Iceland store in Barnstaple High Street when she made the grim discovery.
“I was chewing when I spotted this worm on my plate and I just spat out my food everywhere,” Kathy told the Gazette.
“I had cut the slices up and was sharing them with my young grandchildren and immediately snatched them away.
You may also want to watch:
“It was just disgusting, I spent the night retching and it was like I could feel it crawling in my stomach whenever I thought about it.”
Kathy got straight on the phone to Iceland, who asked her to return the item to the store, but she said she doubts she will buy from there again.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
“I have another packet of the slices in my freezer but I don’t want to even touch them now,” she said.
“It is just disgusting – this should have never been allowed to get in the food.”
A spokesman for Iceland said the store took all complaints seriously and was investigating the incident.
He said: “We can confirm that Ms. Thompson has been in touch with our customer care department regarding the foreign body found in her chicken lattice.
“Ms. Thompson is returning the item to the store and the foreign body will be collected by our supplier in order for them to carry out a thorough investigation.
“As soon as we have the results of the investigation we will get back in touch with Ms. Thompson.”