Shock ‘worm’ discovery in chicken tikka slice
- Credit: Archant
Barnstaple grandmother finds worm-like object in frozen slice from Iceland.
A BARNSTAPLE woman was horrified when she discovered what appeared to be half a worm in her chicken tikka slice.
Kathy Thompson was half way through a mouthful of the slice which she bought from the Iceland store in Barnstaple High Street when she made the grim discovery.
“I was chewing when I spotted this worm on my plate and I just spat out my food everywhere,” Kathy told the Gazette.
“I had cut the slices up and was sharing them with my young grandchildren and immediately snatched them away.
You may also want to watch:
“It was just disgusting, I spent the night retching and it was like I could feel it crawling in my stomach whenever I thought about it.”
Kathy got straight on the phone to Iceland, who asked her to return the item to the store, but she said she doubts she will buy from there again.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 9 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
“I have another packet of the slices in my freezer but I don’t want to even touch them now,” she said.
“It is just disgusting – this should have never been allowed to get in the food.”
A spokesman for Iceland said the store took all complaints seriously and was investigating the incident.
He said: “We can confirm that Ms. Thompson has been in touch with our customer care department regarding the foreign body found in her chicken lattice.
“Ms. Thompson is returning the item to the store and the foreign body will be collected by our supplier in order for them to carry out a thorough investigation.
“As soon as we have the results of the investigation we will get back in touch with Ms. Thompson.”