Shepherd's pies put Ilfracombe cafe on the map
SHEPHERD S pies have been flying out of the doors of Combe Cottage Restaurant and Caf� in Ilfracombe after renowned food writer and critic Tom Parker Bowles ranked it as perfection on a plate. In his Mail on Sunday article, the son of the Duchess of Cor
SHEPHERD'S pies have been flying out of the doors of Combe Cottage Restaurant and Caf� in Ilfracombe after renowned food writer and critic Tom Parker Bowles ranked it as "perfection on a plate."
In his Mail on Sunday article, the son of the Duchess of Cornwall and staunch champion of British food held up the restaurant in Ilfracombe High Street as one of three places where the perfect shepherd's or cottage pie could be found.
The first owners Paul Warren and Kate Wortley knew of his ringing endorsement was when Paul's grandmother called to say she had seen the article.
This was shortly followed by customers who had also read it and were eager to order the mince and potato dish (shepherd's pie is traditionally created using lamb mince, while cottage pieis made from beef.)
You may also want to watch:
Tom's verdict was: "Ilfracombe is known more for its cliffs and beaches than its bistro culture, but hidden among the chippies and overpriced tourist traps is a welcome pocket of sophistication.
"The Combe Cottage restaurant's shepherd's pie is homely and filling, with locally-sourced beef topped with a surprisingly good cheese mash."
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 9 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton
With a busy summer at the lunchtime caf� and evening bistro have seen little time to read newspapers, so this came as a welcome surprise:
"We had a phone call some weeks ago from someone asking if we did cottage pie, but then thought no more about it," said experienced chef Kate.
"People definitely came in on the back of that fantastic review, with many asking for shepherds or cottage pie.
"It's been a cold summer and the extra demand for dishes such as shepherd's pie definitely turned out well for us."
Combe Cottage is one of, if not the, oldest cafes in Ilfracombe, dating back some 70 years. Kate and Paul took it over in 2005 and completely refurbished it.