Sheepdog Trials trotting ever closer to Filleigh
- Credit: Guy Harrop
Don’t miss the Devon Country Fayre and National Sheepdog Trials on July 19-21.
The scene is set for the Devon Country Fayre and English National Sheep Dog Trials at Castle Hill in Filleigh from Friday, July 19 to Sunday 21.
A total of 150 dogs and their handlers from all over the country will take part in the trials run by the International Sheep Dog Society on its return to the county after four years.
Local competitors include Kim Dart from North Devon, who will have to pit wits and handling skills against stubborn Romney cross ewes and a challenging course.
“The course at Castle hill is a tough one with a 500 yard out run for the dogs, plenty of undulations and dead ground where the dogs can easily lose their way,” said local shepherd David Kennard, who is member of the ISDS.
You may also want to watch:
“But a tough course will bring the best to the fore, and in 2009, the last time the national trials were held at Castle Hill the top 15 competitors who made up the English National team for the year, went on to win the team award at the international trials.”
Around 25,000 people are expected to attend the event, pumping thousands of pounds into the local economy, with all profits to the North Devon Hospice.
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 3 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
- 9 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
- 10 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
The country fayre will be packed with all things rural including falconers, ferret racing, duck herding and Morris dancing.
Local food and drink producers will make the food and drink marquee a mouth-watering experience which will include cookery demonstrations each day, plus a craft marquee.
For tickets go to www.devoncountryfayre.co.uk or call 01392 353700.
* TO win one of five pairs of tickets to the show, text NDG SHEEP and your answer A, B or C to the question below to 80058. (I.e. ‘NDG SHEEP A’).
How long since the National Sheepdog Trials were held in Devon?
A) Two years; (B) Three years; (C) Four years.
The closing date for entries is 10 on Wednesday, July 10. Normal terms & conditions apply.