Sex trafficking video to be shown in Barnstaple
A BARNSTAPLE woman who has travelled the world helping victims of sex trafficking is hosting a screening of a ‘groundbreaking’ documentary in Barnstaple.
Carina Friesen, from Pilton, has been working with trafficked girls in Thailand, Amsterdam, India and The Gambia for four years.
She said: “I have ended up hosting a screening here in Barnstaple because I know one of the girls who is interviewed in the documentary who was in prostitution for 30 years.
“You’ll see where slaves are sold - often in developed, affluent countries - where they work, and where they are confined.
“You’ll hear first-hand interviews with real victims and ex-traffickers, along with expert analysis from international humanitarian leaders.
You may also want to watch:
“The thing is many people believe that trafficking happens in far off countries when in fact it is happening on our own doorsteps.”
The documentary will be screened at Grosvenor Church in Barnstaple on June 30 at 7pm, strictly over 18s only.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
Admission is free, but tickets must be booked online at www.nefariousdocumentary.com