See you there
SIR - Following your lead article in the Gazette I must just say how disappointed I was to see that all of North Devon was mentioned about celebrating the new year and poor old Ilfracombe was passed off with a “one liner” at the end of the article. I have been here since 1973 and can remember back then congregating in Broad Street square, something that most of the party going Ilfracombeites habitually do whereever in town the party happens to be.
In fact, for the last 15 years Streetsounds has been employed by the landlord of the Sandpiper Inn to enhance the atmosphere.
Some years equipment and effects have been added through the help of the Starcloth Production company.
All this has been organised by the landlord and financed by himself, not like Bideford and Barnstaple, subsidised by the council.
Barnstaple,in fact, is a newcomer to the “organised event” having only been doing it for about five years.
You may also want to watch:
Bideford has been doing it for years, but now has become such a squash you need to bring your own booze in order to guarantee getting a drink.
Trust me, Ilfracombe will be the place to be to see in 2013. See you there.
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 3 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 4 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 5 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 6 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 10 Affinity Devon seeks next Charity of the Year