See you there
SIR - Following your lead article in the Gazette I must just say how disappointed I was to see that all of North Devon was mentioned about celebrating the new year and poor old Ilfracombe was passed off with a “one liner” at the end of the article. I have been here since 1973 and can remember back then congregating in Broad Street square, something that most of the party going Ilfracombeites habitually do whereever in town the party happens to be.
In fact, for the last 15 years Streetsounds has been employed by the landlord of the Sandpiper Inn to enhance the atmosphere.
Some years equipment and effects have been added through the help of the Starcloth Production company.
All this has been organised by the landlord and financed by himself, not like Bideford and Barnstaple, subsidised by the council.
Barnstaple,in fact, is a newcomer to the “organised event” having only been doing it for about five years.
You may also want to watch:
Bideford has been doing it for years, but now has become such a squash you need to bring your own booze in order to guarantee getting a drink.
Trust me, Ilfracombe will be the place to be to see in 2013. See you there.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 2 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 3 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 8 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 9 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 10 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge