Second poll chose Old Fair 'royalty'
THE people of Chulmleigh have been to the polls twice in a week. But long before the Government set a date for the general election, the town s Old Fair committee had organised the traditional annual ballot to select this year s fair royalty. Chulmleigh
THE people of Chulmleigh have been to the polls twice in a week.
But long before the Government set a date for the general election, the town's Old Fair committee had organised the traditional annual ballot to select this year's fair royalty.
Chulmleigh Community College student Carly Avery, 14, polled the most votes and will be this year's fair queen. She will be joined by attendants Daisy Parsons and Jasmine Trenaman from Chulmleigh Primary School.
Also from the school is chief herald James Timms, heralds Jamie Ward and Rowan Trenaman, and crown bearer Morgan Robinson.
You may also want to watch:
According to Chulmleigh Old Fair committee member Sylvia Gilson, voting was brisk and at one point people had to queue to make their selection.
"Children as well as adults are allowed to vote and coming so soon after the election it was helpful that parents could use the occasion to explain what happens at a general election," said Mrs Gilson.
- 1 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 2 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 3 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 4 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 5 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 6 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 7 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 8 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 9 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 10 Football league teams up with Northern Devon Foodbank
"Of course, our candidates all get a thank-you gift whether or not they are successful."
A coffee morning was held while voting took place, raising �491 for fair funds.
This year's fair will be opened on the evening of Tuesday, July 27 with the following day being the main fair day.