Second marathon for Appledore fire fighter
- Credit: Archant
Retained fire fighter is raising money for the Fire Fighters Charity with his second marathon attempt.
A RETAINED fire fighter from Appledore will be running the London Marathon for the second time this year.
In 2011, Nick Williams raised £1,960 for the Fire Fighters Charity and is hoping to beat his total for the same charity this year.
Last year he intended to run the marathon again, but six weeks before the event he tore ligaments in his ankle in a fall and had to pull out.
Nick said: “Hopefully I will make it there this year and manage to overtake Pingu the penguin and avoid the dreaded cramp.
You may also want to watch:
“I am pretty sure this will be my last attempt at the marathon, so please be generous with your donations, and remember I’m doing it so you don’t have to.”
Nick, who has been a retained fire fighter at the station for nine years, is a keen sportsman and has previously competed in swimming, pilot gig rowing, and motorcycle races.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 3 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 6 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 7 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 8 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
On Sunday, April 7, Appledore Fire Station will also be holding its annual charity car wash from 9.30am until 4.30pm at Church Fields car park.
The money raised will go towards the Fire Fighters Charity.
Anyone who wishes to donate to Nick’s marathon attempt can visit www.justgiving.com/nickbwilliams or donate at the charity car wash.