Search for missing fisherman off North Devon coast
Rescue services scour the sea off Hartland after man falls from Belgian fishing trawler.
A major air and sea search took place off the North Devon coast on Saturday night in search of a missing a fisherman.
Appledore and Padstow lifeboats were joined by other vessels plus the search and rescue helicopter from RMB Chivenor after the man was reported overboard from a Belgian fishing trawler around 12 miles off Hartland Point.
Appledore’s all weather lifeboat the Mollie Hunt launched at 6.20pm and conditions worsened through the evening as the two lifeboats followed a co-ordinated search pattern in an attempt to find the missing man.
After more than three hours at sea searching both RNLI lifeboat crews were stood down with no-one having been found.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for HM Coastguard said the search was stood down at around 10pm. The Belgian fishing vessel had sailed from Milford Haven in South Wales.
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 8 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 9 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 10 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge