Search for missing fisherman off North Devon coast
Rescue services scour the sea off Hartland after man falls from Belgian fishing trawler.
A major air and sea search took place off the North Devon coast on Saturday night in search of a missing a fisherman.
Appledore and Padstow lifeboats were joined by other vessels plus the search and rescue helicopter from RMB Chivenor after the man was reported overboard from a Belgian fishing trawler around 12 miles off Hartland Point.
Appledore’s all weather lifeboat the Mollie Hunt launched at 6.20pm and conditions worsened through the evening as the two lifeboats followed a co-ordinated search pattern in an attempt to find the missing man.
After more than three hours at sea searching both RNLI lifeboat crews were stood down with no-one having been found.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for HM Coastguard said the search was stood down at around 10pm. The Belgian fishing vessel had sailed from Milford Haven in South Wales.
- 1 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 2 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 5 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 6 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 7 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 8 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment