Search for missing Bideford yachtswoman
Air and sea operation launched to locate lone 65-year-old skipper.
A MAJOR air and sea search for a missing Bideford yachtswoman has been launched this morning (Monday).
The 65-year-old skipper of the 31ft white and blue yacht Seagair has not been seen or heard from since leaving Mousehole at 6.30pm on Saturday.
The unnamed woman is understood to have been travelling around Lands End and back along the North Cornwall and North Devon coast to Bideford in her newly-purchased yacht but failed to make contact with relatives last night as expected.
Following extensive enquiries involving police and coastguards, three RNLI lifeboats from Penlee, Sennen Cove and St Ives have been requested to launch.
You may also want to watch:
A first light air search by rescue helicopters from RNAS Culdrose and RAF Chivenor has also been planned and Coastguard rescue officers from North Cornwall and North Devon will conduct a shoreline search
Steve Huxley, search and rescue communications manager, Falmouth Coastguard said: “The woman departed Mousehole on Saturday evening onboard her newly-purchased vessel.
- 1 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 2 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 3 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 4 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 5 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 6 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Affinity Devon seeks next Charity of the Year
- 10 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
“We understand that she was heading for Bideford. We have been unable to find her and are very concerned for her safety.
“Members of the public who may have seen or heard from the skipper of the Seagair should contact Falmouth Coastguard on 01326 317575.