Search for Instow school site is shelved
DEVON County Council has given up its search for a site for Instow s new school. The bombshell news was revealed in an answer to a question posed by local Independent county councillor Rodney Cann. He asked Cllr Christine Channon, Cabinet Member for Schoo
DEVON County Council has given up its search for a site for Instow's new school.
The bombshell news was revealed in an answer to a question posed by local Independent county councillor Rodney Cann.
He asked Cllr Christine Channon, Cabinet Member for Schools Skills, what progress had been made in identifying a site for the new school at Instow.
She replied: The replacement of Instow Primary School does not form part of the current capital programme.
You may also want to watch:
"Considerable officer and consultants time was put towards identifying a potential new school site, but in light of the proposed area review for Bideford Learning Community (which will include Instow Primary School) due later this year the Cabinet Member for Schools Skills has concluded that further investigation should not take place until the outcome of the area review is known."
The county council has been searching for a new school site in Instow for more than 12 years. Two sites were finally identified and a planning application on one of them was withdrawn last year.
- 1 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 2 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 3 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 4 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 5 Veterans Charity to host Charity Car Wash at Barnstaple HQ
- 6 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 7 Motorcyclist denied dangerous driving after quad bike crash
- 8 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 9 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
- 10 Hospice volunteer reaches out to 325 bereaved people during lockdown
Mr Cann said: "This is a bombshell that puts an enormous question mark on the badly needed new school provision at Instow.
"I know many local people will be shocked and dismayed that after all our efforts at best the new school site is put on hold and at worst that we will not be having a new school.
"Instow is being badly let down by the new administration at County Hall. Mrs Channon should think again and give us our new school.