Search for Instow school site is shelved
DEVON County Council has given up its search for a site for Instow s new school. The bombshell news was revealed in an answer to a question posed by local Independent county councillor Rodney Cann. He asked Cllr Christine Channon, Cabinet Member for Schoo
DEVON County Council has given up its search for a site for Instow's new school.
The bombshell news was revealed in an answer to a question posed by local Independent county councillor Rodney Cann.
He asked Cllr Christine Channon, Cabinet Member for Schools Skills, what progress had been made in identifying a site for the new school at Instow.
She replied: The replacement of Instow Primary School does not form part of the current capital programme.
You may also want to watch:
"Considerable officer and consultants time was put towards identifying a potential new school site, but in light of the proposed area review for Bideford Learning Community (which will include Instow Primary School) due later this year the Cabinet Member for Schools Skills has concluded that further investigation should not take place until the outcome of the area review is known."
The county council has been searching for a new school site in Instow for more than 12 years. Two sites were finally identified and a planning application on one of them was withdrawn last year.
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 3 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 6 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 9 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
Mr Cann said: "This is a bombshell that puts an enormous question mark on the badly needed new school provision at Instow.
"I know many local people will be shocked and dismayed that after all our efforts at best the new school site is put on hold and at worst that we will not be having a new school.
"Instow is being badly let down by the new administration at County Hall. Mrs Channon should think again and give us our new school.