Search for Instow school site is shelved
DEVON County Council has given up its search for a site for Instow s new school. The bombshell news was revealed in an answer to a question posed by local Independent county councillor Rodney Cann. He asked Cllr Christine Channon, Cabinet Member for Schoo
DEVON County Council has given up its search for a site for Instow's new school.
The bombshell news was revealed in an answer to a question posed by local Independent county councillor Rodney Cann.
He asked Cllr Christine Channon, Cabinet Member for Schools Skills, what progress had been made in identifying a site for the new school at Instow.
She replied: The replacement of Instow Primary School does not form part of the current capital programme.
You may also want to watch:
"Considerable officer and consultants time was put towards identifying a potential new school site, but in light of the proposed area review for Bideford Learning Community (which will include Instow Primary School) due later this year the Cabinet Member for Schools Skills has concluded that further investigation should not take place until the outcome of the area review is known."
The county council has been searching for a new school site in Instow for more than 12 years. Two sites were finally identified and a planning application on one of them was withdrawn last year.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 6 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Bideford's Millbrook Dairy awarded its first star at Great Taste Awards
- 9 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 10 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
Mr Cann said: "This is a bombshell that puts an enormous question mark on the badly needed new school provision at Instow.
"I know many local people will be shocked and dismayed that after all our efforts at best the new school site is put on hold and at worst that we will not be having a new school.
"Instow is being badly let down by the new administration at County Hall. Mrs Channon should think again and give us our new school.