Seafield House goes under the hammer tomorrow
- Credit: Archant
The ‘haunted house’ in Merley Road, Westward Ho! will be going up for auction tomorrow (Wednesday).
Seafield House in Westward Ho! will go under the hammer tomorrow (Wednesday).
The house, known as the ‘haunted house’ in Merley Road, will be auctioned at The Pier House at 3pm.
With 12 bedrooms, the house is in need of ‘extensive’ refurbishment and renovation.
After its entrance to the market at a guide price of £400,000 was announced, Westward Ho! residents set up a crowdfunding page to try raise the money to buy it.
The page had a target of £400,000 but only reached £3,420.
Lynn La Broy, who set up the page, said: “I just hope whoever is lucky enough to buy Seafield is sympathetic to the building and our community.”
You may also want to watch:
The house is believed to have been built in circa 1885 as a summer residence for Brinsley De Courcey Nixon, a London banker from County Limerick in Ireland.
During the Second World War the house was used by the MOD as the officer’s quarters with Italian prisoners of war accommodated in nearby fields.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 6 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 9 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 10 Bideford's Millbrook Dairy awarded its first star at Great Taste Awards
It was purchased in the 1950s and owned by the same family since then, at one point trading as a bed and breakfast.
When agents Seldons first got inside the house they found ledgers from guests dating back to 1968.
For more North Devon stories visit our news feed here.