Screen will hide Ilfracombe bus station eyesore
A huge billboard is set to be installed to help camouflage one of Ilfracombe s more prominent eyesores. A colourful and eye catching screen emblazoned with the town s new Curious Coastal Charm brand and an image of Lantern Hill, is to be placed on the s
A huge billboard is set to be installed to help camouflage one of Ilfracombe's more prominent eyesores.
A colourful and eye catching screen emblazoned with the town's new "Curious Coastal Charm" brand and an image of Lantern Hill, is to be placed on the side of the derelict bus station building near the harbour.
Ilfracombe Town Council and North Devon Plus hope to have the screen installed as soon as tomorrow (Thursday) to present a cheerier aspect to visitors as they walk along Broad Street and to help coax them further along to Fore Street with its pubs and restaurants.
Sally Nelson from North Devon Plus said the screen will be made of vinyl and tightly stretched across an aluminium frame, making it relatively easy to put up or move and use elsewhere.
You may also want to watch:
"The bus station is still disused and is a derelict seventies eyesore," she said.
"As you walk along the Quay and turn into Broad Street the eye naturally falls on it - people look along the street and think there is nothing else there, but we want to draw them along and up Fore Street.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
"It's part of the signage strategy to make the town look livelier and to deal with any dead space."
The bus station site is the subject of a planning application for apartments and redevelopment.