Scouts set up Christmas card delivery service
THE 2nd Bideford Scout Group has joined forces with the 1st Edgehill and Torridge Scout group to launch a Christmas postal service.
Under 1981 legislation, Scouts are able to deliver Christmas cards from November 25 to January 1.
Stamps have now gone on sale at various locations through the Bideford area at the price of 20p each. The printing of the self-adhesive stamps has been sponsored by Stevens and Willey Accountants in Barnstaple.
Torridge District Council has allowed the Scouts to use election boxes as Post boxes and these are also being hosted by local businesses to collect the Christmas cards.
The last posting day is Decembe 15, after which the boxes will be emptied on a regular basis and the cards taken to a central location to be sorted ready for delivery.
Scouts aged 11 - 18 and accompanied by an adult supervisor will deliver Christmas cards to addresses in Bideford, Northam, Appledore, Westward Ho! and East-the-Water.
Deliveries will start by December 16 and will be completed by Christmas Eve. Further information and contact details for bulk orders is available on the website http:torridgescouts.webs.com or call 07815034222
- 1 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 2 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 3 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 4 South Molton's top 10 rating for pannier market
- 5 Stylish Victorian property offers many period features
- 6 Help turn tide with Appledore community film
- 7 Queen's Theatre panto audiences raise £3,200 for local charities
- 8 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 9 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 10 Verdant Leisure buys two North Devon holiday parks
The following businesses are selling stamps and hosting post boxes: Blights Motors, Clovelly Road; Stanhope Stores, Northam Road; Krazy Price Kards, Mill Street; Spar; Watsons Newsagents, 7 High Street; Who’s Next, Hairdresser, 1 Queen Street; Gas Mark North Devon Limited, 24 Market Place; Sue Ryder Care; Westward Ho News, Golf Links Road; F Heard, 22 Nelson Road; The Sand Cats, Golf Links Road; Appledore Newsagents; The Chocolate Box, Appledore; Best One Discount Store, Barton Tors; E R Jones, Newsagent, 7 The Square; Royal North Devon Golf Club, Golf Links Road