Schools given funding for Olympic Torch events
Torridge District Council will be helping schools fund their olympic torch celebrations.
SCHOOLS in Torridge could be given funding to help celebrate as the Olympic Torch passes through Merton, Great Torrington and Bideford.
Torridge District Council has asked schools in the district for requests for funding as it decides how best to distribute the �6,500 it has allocated for local schools to mark the occasion.
The torch relay will pass through the area on May 21, and ideas for the use of the fund include to pay for transport for children to see the torch, organise a specialist Olympic sport session at school, or to pay for an inter-school competition.
Councillor Barry Parsons, leader of the council, said: “Torridge strongly believes in the power of the Olympic and Paralympic Games to inspire children and young people across the District, the UK and around the world.
You may also want to watch:
We want this opportunity to spark their imagination and enthusiasm, helping them to realise their potential and to learn from this once in a lifetime opportunity.”
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 3 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 4 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 8 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 9 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17