Schools given funding for Olympic Torch events
Torridge District Council will be helping schools fund their olympic torch celebrations.
SCHOOLS in Torridge could be given funding to help celebrate as the Olympic Torch passes through Merton, Great Torrington and Bideford.
Torridge District Council has asked schools in the district for requests for funding as it decides how best to distribute the �6,500 it has allocated for local schools to mark the occasion.
The torch relay will pass through the area on May 21, and ideas for the use of the fund include to pay for transport for children to see the torch, organise a specialist Olympic sport session at school, or to pay for an inter-school competition.
Councillor Barry Parsons, leader of the council, said: “Torridge strongly believes in the power of the Olympic and Paralympic Games to inspire children and young people across the District, the UK and around the world.
You may also want to watch:
We want this opportunity to spark their imagination and enthusiasm, helping them to realise their potential and to learn from this once in a lifetime opportunity.”
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 4 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe