Schoolgirl sells Olympic torch on eBay
Youngster’s on-line sale to say thank-you to cleft palate charity.
A FIVE-year-old girl has auctioned off an Olympic ‘torch’ she made at Fremington Primary School to raise money for a charity close to her heart.
Alya Hebblethwaite from Fremington was born with a cleft palate, and has had two life changing operations, inspiring her to give something back.
While some official torches have sold on eBay for more than �150,000, Alya’s homemade effort has raised �40 – all for the cleft palate charity Clapa, which supported her so much.
Brave Alya, who had her first operation when she was only six months old, and a second just before Christmas last year, said: “The doctors and nurses were very kind and they helped fix my mouth so I can now talk better and it is easier to eat and drink.”
You may also want to watch:
The item was being watched on the online auction site by more than 1,200 people and attracted 19 bids by 11 different bidders.
Dad Tony Hebblethwaite said he was disappointed that some people had sold official torches on-line but had not donated any of the profits to charity. He said his daughter was ‘over the moon’ at the amount she managed to raise.
- 1 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 2 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 3 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 6 5-year-old Emily signs up to Appledore RNLI Mayday Mile Event
- 7 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 8 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 9 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 10 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
The charity has also agreed to donate a T-shirt and baseball cap to Alya to congratulate her efforts, and some pin badges to the winning bidder.
Teachers at her school are also planning to hold a special assembly to celebrate her achievement.