School honoured with top design accolade
RICS visits West Buckland School to present prestigious award
WEST Buckland School’s “150 Building” has been awarded a top accolade by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
The art, design, technology and drama building, which opened in April last year, has been recognised in the prestigious annual celebration of excellence in the natural and built environment.
Senior members of RICS visited the school on Wednesday to present the South West 2011 Sustainability Award to the team responsible for the �5million facility, which replaced poor, existing arts accommodation with a contemporary, high-quality and sustainable building.
The accolade recognises the special efforts made throughout the design and construction process to ensure the building is socially and economically sustainable in supporting local businesses and engaging the community.
You may also want to watch:
Sustainable features include under floor heating supplied by a biomass boiler, photovoltaic panels on the theatre roof, and light occupancy sensors in teaching spaces.
Materials used included Forest Stewardship Council certified timbers, locally sourced natural stone, natural rubber flooring and cork pin board on the walls.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 4 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
The project now goes forward to compete in the RICS international awards where it will be judged alongside other projects not just from around the country but around the world.
Winners will be announced at a ceremony to be held at the Savoy Hotel in London on October 21.