School honoured with top design accolade
RICS visits West Buckland School to present prestigious award
WEST Buckland School’s “150 Building” has been awarded a top accolade by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
The art, design, technology and drama building, which opened in April last year, has been recognised in the prestigious annual celebration of excellence in the natural and built environment.
Senior members of RICS visited the school on Wednesday to present the South West 2011 Sustainability Award to the team responsible for the �5million facility, which replaced poor, existing arts accommodation with a contemporary, high-quality and sustainable building.
The accolade recognises the special efforts made throughout the design and construction process to ensure the building is socially and economically sustainable in supporting local businesses and engaging the community.
You may also want to watch:
Sustainable features include under floor heating supplied by a biomass boiler, photovoltaic panels on the theatre roof, and light occupancy sensors in teaching spaces.
Materials used included Forest Stewardship Council certified timbers, locally sourced natural stone, natural rubber flooring and cork pin board on the walls.
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 4 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 5 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 8 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 9 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 10 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
The project now goes forward to compete in the RICS international awards where it will be judged alongside other projects not just from around the country but around the world.
Winners will be announced at a ceremony to be held at the Savoy Hotel in London on October 21.