School cookery book serves up treats for charity
Pupils publish recipe ideas to help pay for respite activities for young carers.
A COOKERY book produced by Barnstaple schoolchildren is proving to be a big hit with a local charity that provides respite activities for young carers, with more than 60 copies sold on the day of the launch.
Year 7 pupils at Pilton Community College asked classmates and teachers to submit recipe ideas for the book, being sold in aid of Bideford-based charity Carewise.
At a special launch in the school library on Wednesday week, teacher Dawn Wilson-North said students tried to provide a mix of meal ideas that would be useful to families.
The book features everything from tasty tiffins and brownies, to heart warming soups and roast dinners.
You may also want to watch:
Ellen Lynch, 12, said many students at the school felt strongly about supporting Carewise as they had friends that were young carers, and knew how hard to could be for them to cope.
She said: “I think it’s very good for Pilton to represent such an amazing charity and I hope it changes lives.”
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 8 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
Carewise representative, Marion Welch, said: “Pupils chose to support this project themselves, so it’s nice to know that the charity has a fairly high profile among young people at the school. It was a lovely surprise.”
The book is being sold in school for �5 with the �3 proceeds going to the charity.