School cafe is a real perk for parents
- Credit: Archant
Lattes at the school gates prove popular at Orchard Vale.
STAFF, pupils and parents have raised a cup to the opening of a new café at a Barnstaple primary school.
The community coffee shop at Orchard Vale Community School was officially opened by Barnstaple mayor Val Elkins on Friday afternoon.
The brand-new wooden cabin-style café, paid for with funding from various organisations in the town, will enable even more parents to catch up over coffee.
Manager Debbie Hyde said: “The café opens for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon on school days.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s an ideal place for mums and dads to build relationships, share tips on bringing up children, and learn more about the school community here.”
Project co-ordinator Dawn Crabb said: “The new facility also provides a space for child and health agencies to meet and allow Orchard Vale to extend upon its community cohesion.”
- 1 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 2 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 3 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 4 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 5 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 6 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 7 Financial support for survivors of domestic violence in North Devon
- 8 Torridge councillors meet at AGM and re-elect councillor Ken James as Leader
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Fresh funds to continue rough sleeper support in North Devon
Money for the new café was made available by Devon County Council; North Devon Council; Barnstaple Town Council; the Barnstaple Bridge Trust; Barnstaple Round Table; Barnstaple Rotary Club; Barnstaple Lions Club; and Rose Lane Tesco.
Profits from Coffee Cabin will be ploughed back into the running of the café, and also go to help fund two teachers in Nepal.
This week the school also received planning consent to extend classrooms and create a new management hub. Read more here.