Sainsbury's to create 50 new jobs in South Molton
AROUND 50 new jobs are to be created when South Molton s Somerfield store re-opens as a Sainsbury s this October. In June, Sainsbury s, announced that it had exchanged contracts with owners the Co-operative Group to acquire the New Road supermarket. Speak
AROUND 50 new jobs are to be created when South Molton's Somerfield store re-opens as a Sainsbury's this October.
In June, Sainsbury's, announced that it had exchanged contracts with owners the Co-operative Group to acquire the New Road supermarket.
Speaking to the Gazette yesterday (Thursday), a store spokesperson said that the existing Somerfield supermarket would close on Saturday, August 8, and would re-open as a Sainsbury's on Wednesday, October 21.
"The re-opening date is flexible, depending on how much work needs to be done," said Stacey Fordham, acting PR for the new store.
"We are looking to take on approximately 50 new colleagues throughout the store, in addition to the existing Somerfield colleagues."
Mrs Fordham said plans for the new supermarket at the existing site were still being finalised and it was too early to confirm the layout and size of the store.
- 1 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 2 160 traders at this year's Christmas Market in Braunton
- 3 Holsworthy link mental health centre looks set to close permanently
- 4 Council forms group to tackle North Devon housing crisis
- 5 New recycled plastic tables installed at Victoria Park
- 6 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 7 Loud music man fined after breaching official order
- 8 RGB's North Devon branches helping others this Christmas
- 9 North Devon MP encourages community to go 'one step greener'
- 10 Heddon Valley crowned top of winter walks table
But she scotched rumours that it was scrapping its twice-weekly free bus service to ferry customers between the town and Barnstaple.
"Residents will still be able to use the Wednesday and a Friday service the closure period - and beyond - to get to the store and do their shopping," she said.
"We are looking to play an active role within the South Molton community - including the local schools - and the store will nominate a charity of the year."
Job vacancies can be applied for on-line at www.sainsburys.co.uk.