Sainsbury's to create 50 new jobs in South Molton
AROUND 50 new jobs are to be created when South Molton s Somerfield store re-opens as a Sainsbury s this October. In June, Sainsbury s, announced that it had exchanged contracts with owners the Co-operative Group to acquire the New Road supermarket. Speak
AROUND 50 new jobs are to be created when South Molton's Somerfield store re-opens as a Sainsbury's this October.
In June, Sainsbury's, announced that it had exchanged contracts with owners the Co-operative Group to acquire the New Road supermarket.
Speaking to the Gazette yesterday (Thursday), a store spokesperson said that the existing Somerfield supermarket would close on Saturday, August 8, and would re-open as a Sainsbury's on Wednesday, October 21.
"The re-opening date is flexible, depending on how much work needs to be done," said Stacey Fordham, acting PR for the new store.
You may also want to watch:
"We are looking to take on approximately 50 new colleagues throughout the store, in addition to the existing Somerfield colleagues."
Mrs Fordham said plans for the new supermarket at the existing site were still being finalised and it was too early to confirm the layout and size of the store.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 5 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 6 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 7 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 8 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 9 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 10 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
But she scotched rumours that it was scrapping its twice-weekly free bus service to ferry customers between the town and Barnstaple.
"Residents will still be able to use the Wednesday and a Friday service the closure period - and beyond - to get to the store and do their shopping," she said.
"We are looking to play an active role within the South Molton community - including the local schools - and the store will nominate a charity of the year."
Job vacancies can be applied for on-line at www.sainsburys.co.uk.