Safer crossing for Ilfracombe schoolchildren
SCHOOLCHILDREN in Ilfracombe will be able to get to class more safely after the go-ahead was given for a new zebra crossing. Devon County Councillors approved plans for the safety crossing at Highfield Road at a highways meeting in Barnstaple. Ilfracombe
SCHOOLCHILDREN in Ilfracombe will be able to get to class more safely after the go-ahead was given for a new zebra crossing.
Devon County Councillors approved plans for the safety crossing at Highfield Road at a highways meeting in Barnstaple.
Ilfracombe C of E Primary School backed the proposal which resulted from increasing concern at congestion near the school entrance.
Highway engineer Joe Deasy said the crossing would also provide a pedestrian link to High Street shops which would serve residents and the on-street parking areas south of Highfield Road.
You may also want to watch:
"It will greatly improve the walking route for children attending the primary school as well as other road users in the area," he said.
The crossing, estimated to cost �26,600, will be funded through the council's Towns Villages and Rural Communities programme of the "Devon on the Move" Devon Local Transport Plan.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 7 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
l At the same meeting, councillors discussed a proposal to introduce a 40mph speed limit on the A361 at Portmore Roundabout, Barnstaple. Members asked the area engineer for more information.