Safer crossing for Ilfracombe schoolchildren
SCHOOLCHILDREN in Ilfracombe will be able to get to class more safely after the go-ahead was given for a new zebra crossing. Devon County Councillors approved plans for the safety crossing at Highfield Road at a highways meeting in Barnstaple. Ilfracombe
SCHOOLCHILDREN in Ilfracombe will be able to get to class more safely after the go-ahead was given for a new zebra crossing.
Devon County Councillors approved plans for the safety crossing at Highfield Road at a highways meeting in Barnstaple.
Ilfracombe C of E Primary School backed the proposal which resulted from increasing concern at congestion near the school entrance.
Highway engineer Joe Deasy said the crossing would also provide a pedestrian link to High Street shops which would serve residents and the on-street parking areas south of Highfield Road.
You may also want to watch:
"It will greatly improve the walking route for children attending the primary school as well as other road users in the area," he said.
The crossing, estimated to cost �26,600, will be funded through the council's Towns Villages and Rural Communities programme of the "Devon on the Move" Devon Local Transport Plan.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 4 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 5 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
l At the same meeting, councillors discussed a proposal to introduce a 40mph speed limit on the A361 at Portmore Roundabout, Barnstaple. Members asked the area engineer for more information.