Safer crossing for Ilfracombe schoolchildren
SCHOOLCHILDREN in Ilfracombe will be able to get to class more safely after the go-ahead was given for a new zebra crossing. Devon County Councillors approved plans for the safety crossing at Highfield Road at a highways meeting in Barnstaple. Ilfracombe
SCHOOLCHILDREN in Ilfracombe will be able to get to class more safely after the go-ahead was given for a new zebra crossing.
Devon County Councillors approved plans for the safety crossing at Highfield Road at a highways meeting in Barnstaple.
Ilfracombe C of E Primary School backed the proposal which resulted from increasing concern at congestion near the school entrance.
Highway engineer Joe Deasy said the crossing would also provide a pedestrian link to High Street shops which would serve residents and the on-street parking areas south of Highfield Road.
You may also want to watch:
"It will greatly improve the walking route for children attending the primary school as well as other road users in the area," he said.
The crossing, estimated to cost �26,600, will be funded through the council's Towns Villages and Rural Communities programme of the "Devon on the Move" Devon Local Transport Plan.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 3 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 8 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 9 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
- 10 North Devon taxi company appeals for help with driver shortage
l At the same meeting, councillors discussed a proposal to introduce a 40mph speed limit on the A361 at Portmore Roundabout, Barnstaple. Members asked the area engineer for more information.