Runaway cow closes Roundswell roundabout after midnight escape
- Credit: Sarah Howells/Getty/iStockphoto
A runaway cow forced the closure of one of North Devon’s busiest roads on Monday night (August 10).
Police closed the A39 between the Bishops Tawton and Roundswell roundabouts in Barnstaple after reports of a cow on the loose at around 11.50pm.
The animal made its moo-ve when it jumped from a trailer as it stopped at the services at Roundswell while travelling from Denmark to Ireland.
Police, assisted by a vet and a local farmer, were able to stop the cow from hoofing it altogether and contained it in the KFC drive-thru.
A car wash lane at the nearby garage was then used as a makeshift loading bay and the cow was secured in locally-sourced horsebox at 1.40am, having milked its escape for nearly two hours.
You may also want to watch:
While there were no injuries, a police car had a wing mirror damaged after it was rammed by the cow.
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 3 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 8 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 9 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 10 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash