'Run on pound' at Bideford Post Office
THERE was a run on the pound in Bideford (yesterday) Monday after the main Post Office at the Quay temporarily ran low on cash. The big freeze had left many, particularly the elderly, confined to their homes and Monday appeared to be the first time any
THERE was a "run on the pound" in Bideford (yesterday) Monday after the main Post Office at the Quay temporarily ran low on cash.
The big freeze had left many, particularly the elderly, confined to their homes and Monday appeared to be the first time any had ventured out for two weeks.
The resulting demand for pensions and ready cash strained reserves at the Post Office, but the branch manager said although stocks fell very low, no one had to be turned away but some might have had to wait awhile until they could withdraw their money.
A local man collecting his pension told the Gazette he realised the money was running low when he received the last available at the cashier's till in his queue.
You may also want to watch:
A Post Office spokesman said deliveries of fresh cash were due at the branch today (Tuesday) as normal.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 3 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 4 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 5 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 6 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 7 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 8 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 9 Sextortion warning for North Devon Facebook users
- 10 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues