'Run on pound' at Bideford Post Office
THERE was a run on the pound in Bideford (yesterday) Monday after the main Post Office at the Quay temporarily ran low on cash. The big freeze had left many, particularly the elderly, confined to their homes and Monday appeared to be the first time any
THERE was a "run on the pound" in Bideford (yesterday) Monday after the main Post Office at the Quay temporarily ran low on cash.
The big freeze had left many, particularly the elderly, confined to their homes and Monday appeared to be the first time any had ventured out for two weeks.
The resulting demand for pensions and ready cash strained reserves at the Post Office, but the branch manager said although stocks fell very low, no one had to be turned away but some might have had to wait awhile until they could withdraw their money.
A local man collecting his pension told the Gazette he realised the money was running low when he received the last available at the cashier's till in his queue.
You may also want to watch:
A Post Office spokesman said deliveries of fresh cash were due at the branch today (Tuesday) as normal.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 10 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley