'Run on pound' at Bideford Post Office
THERE was a run on the pound in Bideford (yesterday) Monday after the main Post Office at the Quay temporarily ran low on cash. The big freeze had left many, particularly the elderly, confined to their homes and Monday appeared to be the first time any
THERE was a "run on the pound" in Bideford (yesterday) Monday after the main Post Office at the Quay temporarily ran low on cash.
The big freeze had left many, particularly the elderly, confined to their homes and Monday appeared to be the first time any had ventured out for two weeks.
The resulting demand for pensions and ready cash strained reserves at the Post Office, but the branch manager said although stocks fell very low, no one had to be turned away but some might have had to wait awhile until they could withdraw their money.
A local man collecting his pension told the Gazette he realised the money was running low when he received the last available at the cashier's till in his queue.
You may also want to watch:
A Post Office spokesman said deliveries of fresh cash were due at the branch today (Tuesday) as normal.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 4 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 5 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 6 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 7 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 10 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park