Royal retirement for Barnstaple nurse
BARNSTAPLE nurse Liz Oldfield celebrated her retirement in style – with a date at Buckingham Palace. Liz, the Lead Outpatient Nurse at the North Devon District Hospital, was invited to a royal garden party at the palace in recognition of her 34 years ser
BARNSTAPLE nurse Liz Oldfield celebrated her retirement in style - with a date at Buckingham Palace.
Liz, the Lead Outpatient Nurse at the North Devon District Hospital, was invited to a royal garden party at the palace in recognition of her 34 years service in the National Health Service.
She was nominated for a palace invitation by colleagues at the hospital, where she has worked for past 25 years, after first joining the NHS in Staffordshire.
The long-serving nurse started her career working two nights a week as a healthcare assistant and quickly became hooked on the job.
You may also want to watch:
"I enjoy looking after people. If someone's hurting, I find it easy to comfort them," she said. "When I came to North Devon as a healthcare assistant in 1984, I got a lot of encouragement to do my nursing training. The NHS has changed so much - as nurses we've had move forward at the speed that medicine changes and to embrace that change. There's more paperwork now and we see patients in less time. But patient care is always the first priority of nursing - and this will never change.
"I was over the moon when the invitation came through from Buckingham Palace. It was a lovely day. In fact, it's been such an exciting end to my career, with a garden party at the palace and to go out thinking that I still love my job."
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 3 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 4 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 5 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 6 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising