Rounsdwell ‘extra care’ flats plan moves forward
Council will award contracts for new support living scheme.
DEVON County Council has approved recommendations to award construction, management and cares contract for 50 extra care flats at Roundswell, Barnstaple.
The council is inviting tenders for the scheme behind Sainsbury’s and is expected to make a decision about the preferred bidders next month.
The proposal includes individual self-contained homes designed for people who may need around-the-clock care and support to help them live independently.
The Gazette revealed last week that the Roundswell site was originally earmarked for a new primary school but is now being used to help the council meet a 10-year strategy to provide supported housing in the county up to 2020.
You may also want to watch:
The scheme is one of five being implemented by the council across Devon.
Councillor Stuart Barker, the council’s cabinet member for adult social care, said: “Extra care housing is still relatively new in Devon, although its popularity is growing.
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 3 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 4 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 7 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 8 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
“Development of more schemes is important if local authorities in Devon are to stay ahead of the growing demand for health, social care, and housing that is purposely designed to allow people to live independently in their own home but that will accommodate people with care needs.
“We and our District Council partners are investing millions of pounds over coming years, and are working with partner agencies to provide some really high quality schemes that provide independence and choice.”