Roundswell factory to close next year
- Credit: Archant
Company confirms 19 job losses as it announces Thomson A&D in Barnstaple will close by mid 2014.
AN engineering factory in Roundswell has confirmed it will close next year with 19 job losses.
Meggitt’s Thomson A&D Facility in Fishleigh Road will be closed by the middle of 2014, the company has announced.
A statement released by Meggitt said: “Over the past three years, Meggitt’s Thomson A&D facility in the UK has struggled to maintain profitability in the face of lower orders from European industrial and aerospace customers.
“An announcement was made to the 19 staff at the Barnstaple facility on September 17 regarding the potential closure of the facility in early 2014. “
You may also want to watch:
The consultation has now finished with staff and the factory will close within the first quarter of 2014.
The statement continued: “16 roles have been made redundant.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
“Three have been invited to stay on to assist with the closure until mid-2014.
“All are receiving outplacement services from Meggitt to help find new employment.”