Rosemoor receives national iris collection
RHS Garden Rosemoor in Torrington has welcomed the gift of a national collection of water irises
MORE than 40 different water irises, including some unusual cultivars, have been given to RHS Garden Rosemoor, in Torrington, to establish a new National Plant Collection at the garden.
Another collection of around 50 varieties of Iris ensata will also be donated.
John and Galen Carter, of Rowden Gardens in Devon, have bred and developed the collection for many years, attaining National Plant Collection status for it.
As they near retirement, the couple have donated their collection to RHS Garden Rosemoor to share it with the public and ensure its continuation.
You may also want to watch:
The full collection of irises will be established in Rosemoor over the next couple of years, but visitors can already see 20 selections at the entrance to Rosemoor’s spectacular Bicentenary Arboretum.
Jon Webster, curator of RHS Garden Rosemoor, said: “As a charity, the RHS is committed to demonstrating the very best in gardening, so it is a great privilege to be given this unique, locally bred collection. We’re really looking forward to being able to share these fantastic plants with the public as the collection gets established at Rosemoor and hope that they will provide much enjoyment for many years to come.”
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 5 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 8 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 9 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 10 Tesco launches ‘Buy One to Help A Child’ in North Devon
RHS Garden Rosemoor already holds the National Plant Collections for holly and dogwood.