Role of elderly?
SIR - Listening to the speech of David Cameron at the Party Conference I noticed that he kept saying the words, “I know.” Each time I was expecting him to follow this with an acknowledgment that 20,000 elderly people die each year as a result of cold-related illnesses.
I was further expecting him to announce that the winter fuel allowance was to be restored to the level it was when the coalition took office. Sadly this announcement was not made.
Perhaps the coalition has decided that the elderly are placing too great a strain on the nation’s resources and that reducing the winter fuel allowance will go some way towards resolving the problem through natural wastage.
We are all being asked to do our bit towards getting the country out of its economic hole. The role of the elderly it seems is to die as quickly as possible.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 4 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI