Role of elderly?
SIR - Listening to the speech of David Cameron at the Party Conference I noticed that he kept saying the words, “I know.” Each time I was expecting him to follow this with an acknowledgment that 20,000 elderly people die each year as a result of cold-related illnesses.
I was further expecting him to announce that the winter fuel allowance was to be restored to the level it was when the coalition took office. Sadly this announcement was not made.
Perhaps the coalition has decided that the elderly are placing too great a strain on the nation’s resources and that reducing the winter fuel allowance will go some way towards resolving the problem through natural wastage.
We are all being asked to do our bit towards getting the country out of its economic hole. The role of the elderly it seems is to die as quickly as possible.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 3 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 4 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 5 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 6 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 9 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 10 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge