Role of elderly?
SIR - Listening to the speech of David Cameron at the Party Conference I noticed that he kept saying the words, “I know.” Each time I was expecting him to follow this with an acknowledgment that 20,000 elderly people die each year as a result of cold-related illnesses.
I was further expecting him to announce that the winter fuel allowance was to be restored to the level it was when the coalition took office. Sadly this announcement was not made.
Perhaps the coalition has decided that the elderly are placing too great a strain on the nation’s resources and that reducing the winter fuel allowance will go some way towards resolving the problem through natural wastage.
We are all being asked to do our bit towards getting the country out of its economic hole. The role of the elderly it seems is to die as quickly as possible.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 3 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 8 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 9 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
- 10 North Devon taxi company appeals for help with driver shortage