Role of elderly?
SIR - Listening to the speech of David Cameron at the Party Conference I noticed that he kept saying the words, “I know.” Each time I was expecting him to follow this with an acknowledgment that 20,000 elderly people die each year as a result of cold-related illnesses.
I was further expecting him to announce that the winter fuel allowance was to be restored to the level it was when the coalition took office. Sadly this announcement was not made.
Perhaps the coalition has decided that the elderly are placing too great a strain on the nation’s resources and that reducing the winter fuel allowance will go some way towards resolving the problem through natural wastage.
We are all being asked to do our bit towards getting the country out of its economic hole. The role of the elderly it seems is to die as quickly as possible.
- 1 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 2 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 3 War hero, SWW champion and author Tony dies at 97
- 4 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 5 Exercise the 'chuckle muscle' with comedian Jason Manford
- 6 How can we celebrate Queen's Platinum?
- 7 Chance at last to sing along with the Winkleigh Singers
- 8 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 9 MP Selaine Saxby: Violence against women and girls
- 10 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs