RNLI lifeguards stay on until October
Croyde and Woolacombe will continue to see cover at weekends and during half term
THE busy beaches of Woolacombe and Croyde will continue to see RNLI lifeguard cover well into the autumn.
The charity’s lifeguarding season officially end this weekend, but both beaches will still cover during weekends in October and during October school half term week.
“Thanks to funding from the private beach owners, Parkin Estate and Park Dean Holidays the charity is able to extend the lifeguard season into October, providing safety cover for those looking to prolong the summer season and enjoy the favourable surf conditions autumn brings,” said Phil Hill, RNLI divisional lifeguard manager.
“The end of the lifeguard season seems to come round quicker than ever and, as usual this year has been a busy one with the lifeguards dealing with a range of incidents from major and minor first aid, lost children and the rescue of people in difficulty in the water.
You may also want to watch:
“Past November the charity’s volunteer RNLI lifeboat crews remain on call 24 hours a day and ready to respond to anyone in difficulty around the coast. However it’s essential people are aware of the dangers and know how to look after themselves in the water to prevent incidents.
“We’d recommend people take note of the safety signs at the entrance to the beach, always go with a friend or tell someone on the shore where they are going and be aware of the conditions and their own capabilities in the water. Walkers should also find out the local tide times.”
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 4 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI