Riversford Hotel thanks customers as it closes its doors
- Credit: Archant
The Riversford Hotel has been forced to shut after 42 years of trading in Northam due to financial difficulties.
A POPULAR family-run hotel in Northam has thanked its customers for their support after unexpectedly closing this week.
The Riversford Hotel in Limers Lane has been owned and run by the Jarrad family for 42 years but due to financial difficulties has had to shut its doors.
The hotel was originally bought in 1971 by Maurice and Merrilyn Jarrad, who handed the reins over to their sons Nigel and Tony around 17 years ago when they retired.
But Tony, who handled the office side of the business, was diagnosed with leukaemia last year and sadly lost his battle in April.
You may also want to watch:
Since his death the hotel has struggled with financial difficulties which has left them with no option but to close.
“We just want to say thank you to everyone for their support over the years,” said Mr Jarrad, now 81.
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 6 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
“December was looking fully booked and we have had to turn down a lot of functions, including several funerals, because of what has happened.
“We have many loyal customers who have been coming to Riversford for its own unique place and charactor, which many of the regulars loved over the years, and will have special memories of the hotel.
“We just want to apologise to all of our customers for circumstances that were out of our control and extremely unexpected. It is just devastating.
“We would like to wish all of our customers a happy Christmas and New Year.”
The hotel shut on Monday and is not expected to reopen.