Retirement rumours are false
SIR — I am the Senior Consultant at the North Devon District Hospital and work in the Ear Nose and Throat Department, where I have been employed for almost 30 years. I have recently received letters wishing me a happy retirement and this week I met a GP c
SIR - I am the Senior Consultant at the North Devon District Hospital and work in the Ear Nose and Throat Department, where I have been employed for almost 30 years.
I have recently received letters wishing me a happy retirement and this week I met a GP colleague in Barnstaple, who said he had heard from one of our mutual patients that I was retiring in October.
Evidently the well wishers said they had read it in the paper.
I was quite surprised by this, but evidently there was an ambiguous statement about ENT services a few months ago and I must assume that rumours of my imminent retirement are a misinterpretation of this.
You may also want to watch:
Since my patients were very worried about the continuity of their care, can I now reassure them that I have absolutely no intention of retiring in the foreseeable future (God willing!). I am not only the senior ENT surgeon but now I am the Senior Consultant at the Hospital; that is to say I have been here longer than any of the others.
I should perhaps also refute any scurrilous rumours that the hospital administrators are trying to hasten my retirement. These are, I am pleased to say, completely false. At present the hospital has an Interim (or Locum) Chief Executive, who is doing a grand job.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 5 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 6 Fringe TheatreFest returns to Barnstaple this month
- 7 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 8 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
John Riddington Young, FRCS. (via email)