Retirement rumours are false
SIR — I am the Senior Consultant at the North Devon District Hospital and work in the Ear Nose and Throat Department, where I have been employed for almost 30 years. I have recently received letters wishing me a happy retirement and this week I met a GP c
SIR - I am the Senior Consultant at the North Devon District Hospital and work in the Ear Nose and Throat Department, where I have been employed for almost 30 years.
I have recently received letters wishing me a happy retirement and this week I met a GP colleague in Barnstaple, who said he had heard from one of our mutual patients that I was retiring in October.
Evidently the well wishers said they had read it in the paper.
I was quite surprised by this, but evidently there was an ambiguous statement about ENT services a few months ago and I must assume that rumours of my imminent retirement are a misinterpretation of this.
You may also want to watch:
Since my patients were very worried about the continuity of their care, can I now reassure them that I have absolutely no intention of retiring in the foreseeable future (God willing!). I am not only the senior ENT surgeon but now I am the Senior Consultant at the Hospital; that is to say I have been here longer than any of the others.
I should perhaps also refute any scurrilous rumours that the hospital administrators are trying to hasten my retirement. These are, I am pleased to say, completely false. At present the hospital has an Interim (or Locum) Chief Executive, who is doing a grand job.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 3 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 4 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 5 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 6 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 7 Roger McGough unveiled as Plough Poetry Prize judge
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
John Riddington Young, FRCS. (via email)