Retired family doctor died after fall from window
- Credit: Archant
A retired family doctor stabbed himself in the chest before jumping to his death from an upstairs window at his home, an inquest heard.
Dr Mark Beer had been diagnosed with bi polar disorder a decade earlier and in the last few months of his life his mood became low.
His wife Ann, also a retired GP, discovered his lifeless body at their home in Burrington after she returned from a morning walk with their pet dog on September 22 last year.
His widow said he had retired in 2003 because of his mental health issues but in the last couple of years he had come off his medication and seemed better.
Dr Beer’s own GP said in a statement to the inquest at County Hall in Exeter he concluded the 63-year-old was ‘not likely to self-harm’.
You may also want to watch:
A post mortem concluded he died from multiple injuries including a severe head injury, as well as the small knife wounds to his chest.
Senior Devon coroner Philip Spinney said Dr Beer was a ‘very intelligent and philosophical man’ who had mental health issues which were managed with medication.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 5 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 6 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 7 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 10 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
Although the coroner said he was satisfied it was more likely than not that Dr Beer had deliberately taken his life, but the evidence did not support a conclusion of suicide because no one saw him fall and he did not express his intent in the undated notes.
He recorded a narrative conclusion that it was likely he jumped from a window and died as a result of his own actions.