Restraining order for Braunton man after ‘bombardment of calls and texts’
- Credit: Archant
Magistrates give community order to man who called his ex-girlfriend 181 times in a week
A BRAUNTON man has been given a restraining order after ‘bombarding’ his ex-girlfriend with 181 phone calls in a week.
North Devon Magistrates’ Court heard that Marin John Sim, 21, of Barn Park had tried to call his victim 181 times and sent more than 40 messages to her between October 25-31.
Sim was charged with harassment for a series of abusive text messages, in which he made threats which left his victim ‘frightened and intimidated’ and ‘feeling like a prisoner in my own home’.
Defence solicitor Michael Oerton said Sim had received texts from his victim and contacted the police, but no action was taken.
You may also want to watch:
“He then did the first thing that came into his head, which was a bombardment of calls and texts,” said Mr Oerton.
Sitting magistrate Jane Kivlin told Sim they had moved outside of their guidelines, as they did not think he ‘understood the consequences of his actions’.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
Sim was given a restraining order for one year, as well as a 12 month community order to attend the ‘Engage’ programme.
Sim was also ordered to pay £50 compensation.