Restoration for iconic Barnstaple landmarks
Repair work for the Willshire fountain and Barnstaple Heritage Centre to start next week.
STONEMASONS will start work to restore two of Barnstaple’s most iconic landmarks next week.
The Barnstaple Heritage Centre and the Willshire fountain on the Square are both being repaired by owner North Devon Council.
The Willshire fountain suffered significant frost damage last year, causing part of the stonework to crumble and fall away. Stonemasons have carved new pieces of stone to replace the damaged sections and minor repairs will also be made to the supporting stonework.
The fountain will be given a thorough clean before the lighting and water is switched back on again in early March.
You may also want to watch:
During the same week, minor repairs will begin to the Strand’s Grade 1 listed Queen Anne’s Walk, which houses the town’s heritage centre.
Structural specialists will repair cracks in the columns and the lintels of the colonnade. The cracks will be dressed with lime mortar to match the stonework of the building.
- 1 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 2 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 5 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 6 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 7 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 8 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 9 Ton-up Brend helps Bideford set early pace
- 10 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
Executive member for economic regeneration, Councillor Malcolm Prowse, said: “These are two very significant historical assets and the council has a duty to look after them, both to preserve their history and to ensure that they can be enjoyed by future generations.”
Further restoration work is proposed for Queen Anne’s Walk later in the year, which will include more repairs to the stonework and external cleaning of the building.