Resort eyesore is covered up
A glossy new billboard is now in place at Ilfracombe s former bus station to help cover up a town eyesore and draw more visitors into the harbour area. As part of a joint initiative between Ilfracombe Town Council, North Devon Council, Devon County Counci
A glossy new billboard is now in place at Ilfracombe's former bus station to help cover up a town eyesore and draw more visitors into the harbour area.
As part of a joint initiative between Ilfracombe Town Council, North Devon Council, Devon County Council and North Devon Plus, a giant hoarding emblazoned with the town's new "Curious Coastal Charm" brand and an image of Lantern Hill has been put up to brighten up the derelict building.
The screen is made of vinyl and tightly stretched across an aluminium frame and if need be can be moved for use elsewhere.
The hope is it will greet visitors walking along Broad Street with a cheery frontage and not a filthy wall, encouraging them to keep on towards Fore Street, its pubs and restaurants.
"Thank goodness we have at last been able to brighten up this derelict corner of the town," said town councillor John Swan.
Ilfracombe district councillor Colin Wright and county councillor Geoff Fowler said both councils and their partners were committed in a common cause of doing whatever they could to help regenerate Ilfracombe during difficult financial times.
- 1 PICTURES: Bideford Christmas lights switched on in style
- 2 Property of the Week: Daddon Close, Bideford
- 3 Litter around North Devon schools and colleges is a 'disgrace'
- 4 North Devon’s Panto sells 10,000 Cinderella tickets
- 5 An exciting new era for marine futures in northern Devon
- 6 Bideford beat top side Truro in challenging conditions
- 7 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 8 New Castle Hill Work Hub launched to support businesses in Torrington
- 9 South West businesses fear HMRC clamp down
- 10 Hospices’ Light Up a Life appeal will support families in grief
"This is a perfect way of covering what has been an eyesore for so many years and it is something that can be done at little cost," said Mr Fowler.
Mr Wright added: "We have received a number of flattering comments from visitors about their perception of Ilfracombe and we are building on this."
The bus station screen is just part of a signage strategy being carried out by the councils and North Devon Plus.